Thursday, February 17, 2011

Game Night Menu

This past weekend we hosted Game Night for a few of our friends.  I tried to keep the menu simple with lots of finger foods to munch on, and without a doubt, the Mini-Pulled Pork Sandwiches were the hit of the night.  The secret ingredient?  ROOT BEER! 

Ingredients

1- pork shoulder or pork butt roast ( about 3.5-4lbs)
1- can of Root Beer ( I used A&W)
3Tbsp. Brown Sugar
1Tbsp. Salt
1Tbsp. Cumin
1Tbsp. Paprika
1Tbsp. Freshly Ground Pepper
2tsp. Garlic Powder
1tsp. Onion Powder
1tsp. Oregano

I know this seems like a lot, but it's the perfect combination of spices-trust me!



This recipe couldn't be simpler.  No browning of the meat here.  Just put the pork roast into the crock pot and pour in the root beer.  In a small bowl, mix together your spices and massage it all over your pork.
Done.  Could this be any easier?

Now, turn your crock pot on low, cover and walk away!  I cooked this all day long and about an hour before we ate it, I shredded it (in the crock pot so there was less mess) with 2 forks. 


Serve on buns and enjoy!  I used Kings Hawaiian mini rolls.  (Found in your grocer's deli).  They made the cutest mini sandwiches and were perfect for snacking. 

You won't even need BBQ sauce on these, they are just that delicious. 

Of course, if you want to freeze this...because it makes a lot, then let it cool completely and place it in a Ziploc Freezer bag.  Lay it flat in your freezer and it will take up less space.  Then, the day before you want to eat it, place it in your refrigerator and thaw.  Warm the thawed mixture in the microwave or a sauce pan set on medium heat until heated through. 

Yum!  Ok, go try this recipe NOW!  You will thank me later. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am very happy you posted this! I have been thinking of things that will work for hubby to make for dinner for the family on nights I have to work! This will be at the top of the list!
YEAH!

Frugal Freezer Mom said...

Can't wait for you to try it! Hubby will have NO problems switching the crock pot to "ON." :) I love quick, simple dinner's. Enjoy!